Friday, July 9, 2010

So... I was at whole foods for lunch

Tonights dinner is something that I changed over.  The fam devoured it so I never got a picture but really it looked like pasta salad with peas so use your imagination people.

Anyway I was at whole foods for lunch, my kids never eat anything but macaroni and I don't push vegan only on them so I grabbed what looked to be macaroni salad, I never read the label.   We got to the roof top patio of our beautiful new store, it was gorgeous!  Everything was delicious the tofu steak, the lima beans and so on, love it! Got to the macaroni salad and holy cow this was better than any macaroni salad I had ever had.  It was only what I can describe to you as airy.   Boo it was not vegan! I checked the label when we got back down into the store.  I wanted to know the ingredients because I want to make it for my sons birthday party.

So I never wrote it down but I remember seeing mayo and egg yolks and whites... hmmm okay so if there is mayo and yolks and whites then its probably french in some way right?
Not sure. I go home, look it up, the recipe is online apparently in their cookbook -
here is a link for the original  WholeFoods Smoked Mozzarella Penne Pasta Salad
I am not happy with it, none of the same ingredients I read on the label it does not look similar.
I give it a go with what I have just to get started here is what I did

Vegan Mozzarella Penne Pasta Salad

1 Box Penne Pasta
1 Cup of Peas (I did not have spinach so you can use that if you like)
3 oz  Follow your heart vegan Mozzarella, cubed small
2 slices of vegan deli

the sauce
1/2 Cup Tofutti Sour Cream
1/3 Cup Trader Joe's Egg Free Mayo
2    Tabs Tofutti Cream Cheese
1    Tab Vegan Butter
1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
2    Cloves of minced garlic
Pinch Cayenne
Pinch garlic powder (go with your taste here we like garlic, but my son noticed the garlic- he still ate it)
Salt and pepper to taste


I started the pasta,  Added the sauce ingredients to a small pot, except for the minced garlic that I decided last minute to saute a bit.  I stirred it all until it was a smooth sauce.  Once the Pasta was almost cooked I threw the peas in the boiling water to warm them and took it off at al dente.
I then rinsed the pasta and peas with cold water (the dish is a cold one).  I added the sauce and the deli and finally the cubed vegan mozzarella.



You can see that I did not use vegan parmesan, I did not have any on hand.  Really though, I did not taste parmesan in the original so It did not bother me not to add it.  I think the add ins made it a meal, over just a side, the spinach would have been nice - - oh well.  It was good anyway, and the kids had seconds.  I am always happy for that!

hope you like it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails